Reliability is one of the eight dimensions that determines quality in both industries that produce goods and service industries. In the internet service industry, one of the metrics used to measure reliability is how long the internet connection service can remain connected (uptime).
This measure is represented as a percent (%) per unit time. The greater the uptime value of an internet service, the better the reliability. In other words, the smaller the value of downtime (connection failure), the better the reliability. The reliability factor that will be discussed in this research focus on how to minimize downtime due to device failure.
This research takes Gigabit Passive Optical Network (GPON) devices as a research object because GPON internet network consists of various devices and modules that are prone to damage. So that if there is damage to one of the devices, then the internet service will experience interference that causes the value of downtime to increase.
Preventive maintenance is used as the method to achieve minimum downtime value of GPON internet network. Several tools that used in this research, are statistical distribution and mathematical formula. Statistical distribution is used for data processing so that the device failure data can be converted into data distribution all in with its parameters.
This statistical distribution and its parameters will be used in mathematical formula to calculate the estimated duration of the downtime occurs based on the time of preventive maintenance was applied. GPON is a PON-based optical fiber local access network technology standardized by ITU-T. The main components of the GPON technology are as follows:
1) Network Management System (NMS): NMS is software to control and configure GPON devices. NMS can configure both on the OLT and ONT sides. In addition, NMS can manage services running on GPON technology such as internet, telephone and IPTV.
2) Optical Line Terminal (OLT): OLT is an active GPON device on the server-side to convert electrical signals into optical signals. There are several modules on the OLT that support telecommunications facilities, including control modules, customer modules, transport modules, and power supply modules.
3) Optical Network Terminal (ONT): ONT is an active GPON device on the customer-side to connect the customer’s device with the GPON network.
4) Optical Distribution Cabinet (ODC): ODC is a passive device as a branching point from a large capacity cable (feeder) into several cables with a smaller capacity (distribution cable).
5) Optical Distribution Point (ODP): ODP is a passive device that functions as a branching point from the distribution cable into several cables that connect with GPON active devices on the customer-side.
6) Splitter: Splitter is a passive device to divide the optical signal into several lines with smaller capacity. Read Full PDF